Product ID for windows machine is a alphanumeric code calculated using the combination of the product key. So you can check out your product key by right clicking on your My Computer and choosing Properties. Now at last you will see that your windows is activated and your Product Key would be mentioned. Now what if you wanna alter or change your Windows Product ID to something else or maybe your own name.
Well this is possible by some keys in your registry editor called Regedit. So this can be done in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
So what your Product ID would look like when you will right click and see it in My Computer. Now if you want to see how you can change your Product ID just follow below steps and you will be easily making your name as your personal product ID.
Each time you install Windows, a product license key is entered into the installation wizard. This key is saved in the Windows registry. The product license is saved in the registry and evaluated each time you load a Windows update. If the product key is incorrect, you may have problems using some functions of the operating system and updates may not be allowed to proceed. Viewing the product ID from the registry helps retrieve this information if you’ve accidentally lost the packaging.
The Main Steps
- Go to Start -> select Run and type regedit in the Run dialog box and press OK button. This process open the Windows registry editor.
- After you open the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key. “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion” key in the registry. This holds several Windows settings for your machine.
- On the right hand side, you can see an entry by name ProductID listed under the heading Name.
- Double-Click on “ProductID”, a dialog box will pop-up showing your Value data. Now you can delete the original Value data and enter anything of your choice or Press the “Cancel” button to avoid making changes to the value.
- Once you are done, just click on OK and close the Registry Editor. Now you can see the altered Product ID in the Windows Properties window.
You can change the Windows product key as follows:
For Vista and Windows 7:
In the “Run” dialog box type SLUI 3 and hit Enter. You should see a pop-up window where in you can enter the new product key. Just follow the above screen instructions to complete the procedure.
NOTE: The above trick will let you change only the Product ID that is being displayed on Windows Properties window and not the actual product ID stored in the registry. In order to change the actual product ID, you will have to change the Windows product key used.
As always with amending the Windows registry, if you do not feel comfortable about making changes to the registry, hand it over to a professional to perform. If you are unsure, always make a backup of your registry before making any changes.